Komatsu offers a complete line of straight side presses from 121 tons to 4000 tons, with slide connections from single point to multi-point and multi-side. Frame designs from solid, 1 piece unitized body to full tie rod construction, all with wide windows to utilize the full width of the bolster for maximum flexibility. Every Komatsu straight side press features a plunger guided slide for a guaranteed minimum 30% longer die life, “keyless” splined power shaft connections, hydraulic slide lock to eliminate slide “creeping”– causing die height changes in heavy blanking operations, and force-cooled hydraulic clutch & brake for virtually maintenance free operation and the highest single stroke rating in the industry. Press drives are available in eccentric or link motions, with precision helical gearing hardened and ground running in oil. Rounding out this press system is Komatsu’s own SIT-II press control with 100-job memory and “built-in” automation features as automatic single stroke operation mode, programmable die protection, 2-channel electronic load monitor, and interfaces for both light curtains and for coil line.
At Komatsu, high performance should not be optional.
The economical straight side with no compromise on performance. For jobs requiring larger beds for tooling, but lighter tonnage. Solid frame construction.
The E2W Straight Side Press
Designed for Superior Reliability and Consistency
- Ideal for progressive, transfer or manual die operations
- True symmetrical unitized straight side frame
- Superior rigidity characteristics
- Superior off-center load characteristics
- Increased bearing slide guiding area
- Faster stopping times with actual digital display
- Higher production rates in single stroke mode
- Higher counter balance capacity
- Increased die life
A Higher Level of Standard Equipment for Increased Performance
- Heavy plate, rigid frame construction
- Bolster thickness exceeds JIC standards
- Wide windows for transfer and progressive applications
- Single-piece, heavy duty cast slide, prepared for knockouts
- Precision plunger guide design
- Push-button controlled, motorized slide adjustment
- Mechanical slide lock mechanism
- Eccentric drum main drive
- Double gear reduction for greater torque capacity
- Precision oil-lubricated long 6-point gibs
- Hardened and ground helical gears
- Pneumatic counter balance
- Variable speed main motor
- High-torque wet clutch and brake
- Flywheel brake
- Quick-responding, dependable hydraulic overload protector
- Shock resistant, pendant-mounted control
- T-stand for easy set-up and operation
- 100 job memory
- Safety block with interlock
Symmetrical Unitized Frame
Engineered quality. The E2W employs an extremely rigid balanced symmetrical design. Komatsu utilizes its welding and frame design technologies to engineer the one-piece welded frame, providing the rigidity of the larger tonnage straight sides and an affordable cost. E2W also offers a wide window for transfer and progressive applications. With all this, you get the Komatsu standard of uncompromising accuracy and high part consistency stroke after stroke.
Double Reduction Gearing
Higher torque for maximum power transfer. Komatsu’s press drive train is based around a high-quality eccentric drum for high torsional rigidity and superior strength characteristics compared to crankshaft designs. The heavy-duty drive is equipped with double reduction gearing for the eccentric drum, allowing up to 3 times the load bearing area of a similar crankshaft design.
Clutch and Brake
Productivity and reliability. The wet, multiple disc clutch and brake provides higher single stroke operation rates throughput while providing quicker stopping time in all modes of operation. The unit is housed in a continuous-lube, separate oil bath from the main drive, providing superior heat dissipation capabilities. No maintenance operations are normally required, other than an annual fluid change.
Plunger Guide System
Designed for high precision and less die wear. Thrust load from eccentric motion is absorbed by the plunger guide system. The plunger guide is the primary guiding force, preventing side load on the gibs. A size-specific plunger guide is engineered for each different press model, providing maximum performance for each unit. Komatsu also employs full-length gibs that capture the entire length of the slide guide. Gib tolerances are set to Komatsu’s tolerances of 0.0015″ nom. per gib with oil (not grease) lubrication, allowing them to last up to 200 times longer than conventional gibs. Together, the plunger guide and gib surface area add up to 4-5 times the guiding surface area of our nearest competitors. Less routine gib maintenance, less die wear and higher part accuracy are the positive end result, which can translate into improved profits for you.
Easy-to-use motorized slide adjustment. A motorized slide adjustment with digital display is standard. The die height is displayed in metric units of 0.01mm for precise slide adjustment. For extra security, the E2W press relies on precision adjustment screws and nuts rather than chains with a limit switch for overload protection in either direction. The E2W press is also equipped with a positive automatic slide adjustment lock. The unit locks in two directions, preventing changes in die setting and maintaining the consistency of the stamping quality.
Hydraulic Overload Protector
Helps prevent damage to the press and dies. All Komatsu presses are equipped with a hydraulic overload protector, a feature that has been standard for decades helping to protect against damage to the press. If the rated load is exceeded, the press stops automatically. Since the hydraulic pressure can be released easily, operations can be resumed smoothly even if jamming occurs.
System Integrated Terminal
Advanced electronics technology provides user-friendly operation and outstanding reliability. The electronic press control unit is designed to provide the fastest, easiest, and most reliable control available for all press functions. Included as standard equipment on the Komatsu E2W press, the press control incorporates all the latest thinking in press control unit design.
- All information necessary for press set-up, start-up, operation and diagnostics is available in one display, at the touch of a button.
- Language terminology and graphics are user-friendly, easily understood by the press operator in plain view in one central location on the digital display. Display also includes plain language description of fault messages.
- The press control unit has the ability to integrate with current press room equipment, such as electronic coil feeds.
- Operator “T-stand” control interface houses all switches and push-buttons required for ordinary press set-up and operation, including a button for slide adjustment.
- Die Data Recording function can store and retrieve data for 100 dies, including cam and fault detection angle as well as production performance. Also includes digital display of “stored” press speed and actual press speed, plus crank angle.
- Alpha-numeric entry of die name and memo data for easy cataloging and referencing.
- Digital Total Counters
- 1-Production, re-settable
- 1-lot (pre-set), re-settable
- 4 – Electronic rotary cams
- 1 – Pneumatic air ejector with cam
- Mode Selections: (1) Off, (2) Inch, (3) Single Stroke, (4) Continuous
- Optional Modes: (1) Automatic Single Stroke, (2) Automatic Continuous
Simple guidance. The press control unit displays operational procedure guidance for select press functions. Intuitive, user-friendly prompts guide press operators in a logical series of steps, for faster, more reliable press set up and operation.
Extensive use of electronics gives outstanding reliability.
- Solid-state control
- Integrated Circuits are used for all control circuits
- Cross-checking duplex circuits for clutch brake control are used on each stroke (patented)
- Increased safety, longer operation life and high reliability
Digital display for improved operation performance. Digital display of the crank angle and electronic angle detectors provide increased accuracy for press operations. Automatic operation setting and die set-up functions are easier an faster for press operators, with precise, reliable settings every time. To protect the integrity of all electronic systems and provide additional safety, monitor lamps indicate defects in circuits of all electronic systems, and faults are detected instantly.
- Electronic Load Monitor Load monitors are available to continuously monitor loads in all press operations, including blanking, bending, drawing, etc. The monitor also detects die overloads and underloads during operation. In addition, balanced die load is achieved by measuring the off-center-load, thus extending press and die life.
- Emergency Stop Receptacle
- Pneumatic Die Cushions
- Vibration Isolation Pad
- Slide Knockout (mechanical)
- Quick Die Equipment
- Hydraulic die clamps available in either lever or cylinder type
- Hydraulic die lifters
- Mechanical draw out rails (note: re-machining of “T” slots may be required)
- Photoelectric Safety Equipment
- Additional set of 4 Electronic Rotary Cams
- Air Ejector with Cam
- Die Protection System
- Quick Die Change Interface
- Coil Line Interface
Warning – For protection of the operator, point of use guards should be used at all times. Komatsu presses do not include O.S.H.A. recommended point of protection guards.
Note – Brake monitor and control reliability. This control meets the current requirements of O.S.H.A. Standards Section 1910.217 and ANSI B11.1.
Automation Complete turn-key Komatsu-designed press systems including coil lines, die carting and systems engineering tailored to your specific application.
Catalog and Specs
Catalog and Specs
The Komatsu Warranty
When a press is designed as a system, it should be expected to perform as a system without routine tear downs for wear items (the conventional “weak link” in our competitors’ presses.) That’s why every Komatsu Press comes with a Two Year Unconditional Warranty on anything that rolls, slides or moves – parts and labor. Unlike other manufacturers, there is no hourly limit – your press is guaranteed to perform 3 shifts a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. With Komatsu systems engineering it’s possible to extract the full potential from your press, and the full revenue potential from every job.