With capacities from 39 to 220 tons, each Komatsu gap press comes with all the standard features you expect in a world-class press. Plunger guided slide guarantees a minimum 30% longer die life; a virtually maintenance free wet clutch and brake, “keyless”-splined eccentric main shafts; precision helical gearing hardened and ground running in oil. Rounding out this press system is Komatsu’s own SIT-IV press control with job memory and pre-designed expansion capability to add on-board automation options such as die protection and load monitors. At Komatsu, high performance should not be optional.
The OBS Gap Frame Press (35 to 60 ton Type 34)
Designed for Superior Reliability and Consistency
- Ideal for progressive or manual die operations
- Superior deflection characteristics
- Increased bearing slide guiding area
- Faster stopping times with actual digital display
- Higher production rates in single stroke mode
- Higher counter balance capacity
- Improved part quality
- Improved die life
A Higher level of Standard Equipment For Increased Performance
- Heavy plate, rigid frame and construction
- U.S. standard bolster and slide machining
- Pneumatic counterbalance
- Single-piece, heavy duty cast steel slide
- Precision plunger guide design
- Push-button controlled, motorized slide adjustment
- Eccentric shaft main drive
- Precision oil-lubricated long 6-point gibs
- Hardened and ground helical gears
- High-efficiency AC inverter drive
- High-torque wet clutch and brake
- Quick-responding, dependable hydraulic overload protector
- Shock resistant, pendant-mounted control
- T-stand for easy set-up and operation
- 10 Job memory
- Safety block with interlock
Frame and Bolster
Engineered quality. While most gap presses are associated with a greater level of deflection, the Komatsu series brakes the stereotype by maintaining the lowest deflection available. No matter what size of job you spec with a Komatsu, there is no compromise to the characteristics of the frame or the accessibility to the bed area. The highly rigid frame, slide and bolster combine to hold all deflection characteristics to a minimum, setting the new industry standard.
Komatsu uses an eccentric shaft as the main drive shaft in this series of presses. Eccentric shafts assure minimal shaft deflection compared to traditional crankshaft designs.
Splines are used for all drive connections to assure smooth and even distribution of torque during operation. Isolated oil compartments provide continuous lubrication of major drive components and control thermal expansion of the frame.
Clutch and Brake
Productivity and reliability. The wet, multiple disc clutch and brake provides higher single stroke operation rates throughput while providing quicker stopping time in all modes of operation. The unit is housed in a continuous-lube, separate oil bath from the main drive, providing superior heat dissipation capabilities. No maintenance operations are normally required, other than an annual fluid change.
OBS Plunger Guide System
Designed for high precision and less die wear. Thrust load from eccentric motion is absorbed by the plunger guide system. The plunger guide is the primary guiding force, preventing side load on the gibs. A size-specific plunger guide is engineered for each different press model, providing maximum performance for each unit. Komatsu also employs full-length gibs that capture the entire length of the slide guide. Gib tolerances are set to Komatsu’s tolerances of 0.0015″ nom. per gib with oil (not grease) lubrication, allowing them to last up to 200 times longer than conventional gibs. Together, the plunger guide and gib surface area of the Komatsu OBS add up to 4-5 times the guiding surface area of our nearest competitors. Less routine gib maintenance, less die wear and higher part accuracy are the positive end result, which can translate into improved profits for you.
Heavy-Duty Slide Construction
A heavy single-piece cast steel slide is used for increased rigidity. The slide construction is true box-type with narrow flanges and standard provisions for tooling attachment. A motorized slide adjustment with digital display is standard. The die height is displayed in metric units of 0.01mm for precise slide adjustment. The slide is guided primarily by the plunger guide mechanism along with full-length, six point gibs. The precision of the plunger guide and gibbing is a true advantage with tooling, allowing tight tolerance between the punch and die.
Hydraulic Overload Protector
Helps prevent damage to the press and dies. All Komatsu presses are equipped with a hydraulic overload protector, a feature that has been standard for decades helping to protect against damage to the press. If the rated load is exceeded, the press stops automatically. Since the hydraulic pressure can be released easily, operations can be resumed smoothly even if jamming occurs.
SIT IV – System Integrated Terminal
Advanced electronics technology provides user-friendly operation and outstanding reliability. The SIT IV electronic press control unit is designed to provide the fastest, easiest, and most reliable control available for all press functions. Included as standard equipment on the Komatsu OBS press, SIT IV incorporates all the latest thinking in press control unit design.
- All information necessary for press set-up, start-up, operation and diagnostics is available in one display, at the touch of a button.
- Language terminology and graphics are user-friendly, easily understood by the press operator in plain view in one central location on the digital display. Display also includes plain language description of fault messages.
- SIT IV has the ability to integrate with current press room equipment, such as electronic coil feeds.
- Operator “T-stand” control interface houses all switches and push-buttons required for ordinary press set-up and operation, including a button for slide adjustment.
- Die Data Recording function can store and retrieve data for 10 dies, including cam and fault detection angle as well as production performance. Also includes digital display of “stored” press speed and actual press speed, plus crank angle.
- Alpha-numeric entry of die name and memo data for easy cataloging and referencing.
- Digital Total Counters
- 1-Production, re-settable
- 1-lot (pre-set), re-settable
- 4 – Electronic rotary cams
- 1 – Pneumatic air ejector with cam
- Mode Selections: (1) Off, (2) Inch, (3) Single Stroke, (4) Continuous
- Optional Modes: (1) Automatic Single Stroke, (2) Automatic Continuous
Simple guidance. SIT IV displays operational procedure guidance for select press functions. Intuitive, user-friendly prompts guide press operators in a logical series of steps, for faster, more reliable press set up and operation.
Extensive use of electronics gives outstanding reliability.
- Solid-state control
- Integrated Circuits are used for all control circuits
- Cross-checking duplex circuits for clutch brake control are use on each stroke (patented)
- Increased safety, longer operation life and high reliability
Digital display for improved operation performance. Digital display of the crank angle and electronic angle detectors provide increased accuracy for press operations. Automatic operation setting and die set-up functions are easier an faster for press operators, with precise, reliable settings every time. To protect the integrity of all electronic systems and provide additional safety, monitor lamps indicate defects in circuits of all electronic systems, and faults are detected instantly.
- Electronic Load Monitor (2-channel) Load monitors are available to continuously monitor loads in all press operations, including blanking, bending, drawing, etc. The monitor also detects die overloads and underloads during operation. In addition, balanced die load is achieved by measuring the off-center-load, thus extending press and die life.
- Emergency Stop Receptacle
- Die Cushions
- Vibration Isolation Pad
- Slide Knockout (mechanical)
- Quick Die Change Equipment
- Hydraulic die clamps available in either lever or cylinder type.
- Hydraulic die lifters.
- Mechanical draw out rails (note: re-machining of “T” slots may be required)
- Presence-Sensing Safety Devices
- Additional set of 4 Electronic Rotary Cams
- Air Ejector with Cam
- Adjustable Hydraulic Overload
- Quick Die Change Interface
- Coil Line Interface
- Increased Job Storage Memory
Warning – For protection of the operator, point of use guards should be used at all times. Komatsu presses do not include O.S.H.A. recommended point of protection guards.
Note – Brake monitor and control reliability. This control meets the current requirements of O.S.H.A. Standards Section 1910.217 and ANSI B11.1.
Automation Complete turn-key Komatsu-designed press systems including coil lines, die carting and systems engineering tailored to your specific application.
Catalog and Specs
Catalog and Specs
The Komatsu Warranty
When a press is designed as a system, it should be expected to perform as a system without routine tear downs for wear items (the conventional “weak link” in our competitors’ presses.) That’s why every Komatsu Press comes with a Two Year Unconditional Warranty on anything that rolls, slides or moves – parts and labor. Unlike other manufacturers, there is no hourly limit – your press is guaranteed to perform 3 shifts a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. With Komatsu systems engineering it’s possible to extract the full potential from your press, and the full revenue potential from every job.